Automotive Insurance Coverage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Automotive Insurance Coverage

I have comp and collision in my auto and my son
who resides in my home took the car without
permission and wrecked will I have to press charges
on him before the insurance will pay off

Asked on June 20, 2018 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Comp/collision should pay regardless of the cause of the accident, who was driving, or who was at fault, so you should not have to press charges against your son to take advantage of your insurance. (If he injured anyone else or damaged another person's car, you'd have to press charges against him to avoid being liable for the injury/damage to another that he did--a car's owner is responsible for the harm or damage done by those whom he allows to drive his car, so you'd have to treat him as a car thief to show he did not have permission). It is quite possible the insurer will sue your son, if he is an adult (18 or over) to recover hfrom him any amounts they pay out, since the insurer has the right ("subrogation") to seek reimbusement from those who cause it to have to pay out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption