Auto accident 6 months ago, had no insurance, and now she’s telling me i need a lawyer.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Auto accident 6 months ago, had no insurance, and now she’s telling me i need a lawyer.

I was ticketed just for not having insurance. My issue is that i was abusing rx pills up until Ike, and didn’t have insurance, but that’s only half of my issue. The car was in my step-dad’s name still, but he was unaware of both things. She called him today saying that he needed to get a lawyer. My mom say’s that i need to call her, but my issue is the length of time it’s been since the accident and that she’s telling my mom that she’s willing to set up a payment plan. I suffered a head trauma and my car was totaled, i was t-boned. The police report say’s i stopped at the stop sign.

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Accident Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need a car accident attorney in Texas.  You can start looking for one at our website,

I'm assuming that "she" is the driver who t-boned you.  You need to understand that she can still sue you, because the law allows a certain amount of time after the accident for that, called the statute of limitations.  I haven't looked up how long that is in Texas, but I very much doubt that it is less than a year; in many states, it is two years or more.

You will also need to talk to your lawyer about your own rights, to sue for your own injuries, if you weren't at fault.  Your lack of insurance might affect that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption