Auto accident 18 months ago

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Auto accident 18 months ago

I have a friend who was involved in a
car accident that happened 18 months
ago. He doesn’t remember hitting
another vehicle just remembers his car
spinning and then came to a stop in
front of a door to a private property.
He left the scene because his car
wouldn’t start. When he came back his
car was gone it was picked up and towed
to the police impound.He went with a
lawyer to the police station the next
day and told them everything that
happened they said there was no reports
of any car accidents but his car was in
the impound. He gave them all his
personal information but no one ever
called him. The lawyer that was helping
him said he found no reports either.
The car was never picked up from the
impound because he has being working
out of the state only returns on
weekends about once a month. Well now
18 months after he received a call from
someone saying they were from state
farm and said he owed 18,500 due to the
accident he caused. He called back the
number of the person from state farm
and it actually belongs to some guy
that works for the national service
bureau which is a collection agency in
the state of Washington. He doesn’t
know what he should do now?

Asked on July 22, 2016 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he caused damage to other property or injury to other persons by driving negligently or carelessly in any way (e.g. DUI, which may be the case, if he can't even exactly recall what happened; or speeding, texting while driving, ignoring stop lights or signs, etc.), then he has to to pay the cost of the injuries he caused or damage he did--even if there were no police reports. He would not have to pay if he was not at fault; or if at fault, and the real damage or costs were only, say, $5,000, that's all he has to pay. He ideally should retain an attorney; the attorney will know how to deal with this, and for $18,500, this is a large-enough claim to more than justify a lawyer. The attorney can determine if it is legitimate and, if it's not, fight it; or if it is, negotiate a settlement that your friend can live with.
If he wants to do this himself--a bad idea, but his right--he should write to the agency and dispute the debt and ask for documentation validating it. Once he gets that documentation, he can decide what to do. If he really thinks that he was not at fault, did not cause the damage, or that the damage is overstated, he can try to fight it in court: the other side would have to prove his fault, that he caused the damage, and the extent/cost of the damage to win. Or he could, if the thinks that he may be responsible, try to negotiate a settlemement in which he either pays less and/or pays over time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption