If my aunt and uncle passed away 3 years ago and left real property to beneficiaries woo don’t want it, how can I get it?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my aunt and uncle passed away 3 years ago and left real property to beneficiaries woo don’t want it, how can I get it?

The property was left to my uncle’s side of family but they will not respond to letters as they are not interested in it. They live in another state. I would like to have the property.

Asked on July 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to get the property unless someone who owns it will give or sell it to you. If the beneficiaries (your uncle's side) accepted the property, then even if the don't do anything with it or don't really want it, it is their property legally--to do, or not do, with as they see fit, and they do not have to respond to you. If instead they turned down the bequest, the property still went to *someone*--another person in the will, or a more distant relative, oossibly even the town (if real estate taxes not paid) or  bank (if mortgage not paid), etc. You can go to the county clerk's office and find out who is the owner, then deal with that person. Again, though, whomever owns it does not have to deal with you--you can ask and offer, but they  do not need to respond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption