If a cell phone company debited my bank account for a year for a canceled contract which they now admit doing in error, what is my recourse?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a cell phone company debited my bank account for a year for a canceled contract which they now admit doing in error, what is my recourse?

One of my children entered into an account with a cell phone company and I secured their requirement of furnishing a bank account permission to withdraw their monthly bill. The account was canceled and they did not stop withdrawing money. They have admitted their error and gave me a number for the records of their errors. This was “resolved” some weeks ago and repeated telephone calls to the company has not brought any farther resolution. Especially the refund of over $1,000. They debited the account for over a year and my bank would not put a “stop” on the payment as it was not the same amount each month. How do I get my money back?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were charged by a cellular telephone company improperly for fees associated with a cell phone, you need to write the company a note demanding the return of the $1,000 plus with interest by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If the due date comes and goes without payment, your recourse is small claims court against the vendor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption