At what age don’tI need parental permission to move out or to do whateverI want?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At what age don’tI need parental permission to move out or to do whateverI want?

My parents control my life.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you are of legal age (which is 18) or if you emancipate yourself.  Emancipation laws differ from state to state.  Some states allow a person to emancipate as young as 16.  Some states view a person as emancipated by certain events (such as married, in the armed forces, etc.).  Emancipation by request of the court is not that easy and you need a "plan" so to speak: a job, a way to support yourself, a way to have health care coverage, etc.  The way that you have phrased the answer and blurb in explanation it is hard to decipher if this is more than normal teenage angst with their parents.  It is hard to let a child grow up and it is hard to grow up.  Be patient. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption