At what age are parents no longer legally responsible for their adult child?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At what age are parents no longer legally responsible for their adult child?

The adult child lives in another state; there is very limited contactonly via occasional text or email.

Asked on June 28, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I assume that you mean financially responsible. The fact is that�once�a child turns 18 they are legally recognizd to be an adult. At that point, a parent is no longer responsible for proving shelter, support or otherwise for their offspring.

The exceptions being, if a divorce and/or custody agreement provides that a parent is requited to pay for college expenses or the like, if there is a special needs guardianship in effect for a disabled child, or there is some other sprecific legally binding ageement in effect. However, you did not indicate any of the foregoing to be the case.�

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption