What to do if at no time during arrest was I read the “implied consent warning” or my “Miranda rights”?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if at no time during arrest was I read the “implied consent warning” or my “Miranda rights”?

In the research that I have done, if you are not read you implied consent warning then your BAC report is invalid in court. Is that true and, if it is, will my DUI charge get dropped because there is no report saying I had alcohol in my system?

Asked on November 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Implied consent occurs when the officer has probable cause to arrest you. If you refuse to take the test after the officer has read your implied consent rights, then your license will be immediately suspended. If the officer doesn't give you the rights or read your Miranda (assuming there has been arrest of some sort or you are not free to leave), consider that a motion should be filed by your criminal defense attorney to suppress the BAC results and motion to dismiss the charges based on the supression of the test results. Keep in mind, however, that if Miranda had been read, there is very little that can occur here that could dismiss the charges. If the officer has video of this arrest or series of contacts with the individual, then the video will be the first piece of evidence the prosecution and your attorney will review to determine if charges should dropped or evidence suppressed or both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption