At 17 years old, do I have any say in what my parents do with my life?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At 17 years old, do I have any say in what my parents do with my life?

I was sent to a troubled teen therapy program at the age of 17 while living in the state of MA, would I be able to sue the company that transported me there or the wilderness program? I asked many times to call a lawyer while being transported and once there and never had any rights. I was awoken at 4 am by 2 men who practically kidnapped me to take me to an undisclosed location. These men handled me extremely rough and handcuffed me to a wheelchair to make me seem crazy to those at the airport. Obviously they had my parents consent to take me away but this has caused me to have really bad PTSD.

Asked on December 6, 2016 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you believe your parents are actually engaged in conduct which constitutes abuse, you can report them to the child protection agency, who may, if they consider your complaint valid, investigate and take action.
But unless what they are doing constitutes abuse, they yes--your parents can send you to a troubled teen program without your consent: you are a minor and still legally under their control. When you turn 18, then they cannot do that: you will be legally an adult. But 17, while close to 18, is still a minor legally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption