At 17 can you be tried as an adult for a DUI or does it depend on the severity or how close your birthday is?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At 17 can you be tried as an adult for a DUI or does it depend on the severity or how close your birthday is?

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Criminal Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested as a minor (under the age of eighteen years of age) the charges against you and any resulting trial would be through the juvenile court if in fact the charges against you are soley for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

Given the seriousness of the charges against you, I strongly recommend that you retain a criminal defense attorney to defend you concerning the matter that you are writing about. Potentially there could be jail time for you at a juvenile detention center, substantial monetary fine and loss of driving privileges in addition to mandated classes to attend in the event of a guilty plea or a conviction.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption