At 16 years old, what are my son’s rights regarding taking a trip that he does not want to go on?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At 16 years old, what are my son’s rights regarding taking a trip that he does not want to go on?

My ex-husband is making my son go to a ” college weekend” with his stepsister. He does not want to go. Can he say “No”. He wants to put him on a 3 hour bus ride to get there and I am against this. What are my rights as a mother? His father does pay child support and sees him every other weekend.

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your divorce and custody agreement gives you and your ex the rights agreed to but generally speaking, you hve equal rights to make decisions regarding your children, regardless of who pays what in support.  I am assuming that this trip comes on his weekend, correct?  Will he be going unaccompanied nd by that I mean with out an adult?  How old is his step-sister? If she is looking at colleges she is under 18.  I think that you both have a right to object but you may have to take this before a judge to do so if he will not agree.  Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption