Asking for more money after I paid the bill. Can they do that?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asking for more money after I paid the bill. Can they do that?

I had my SUV repaired at a dealership, paid for the services in full at the time of pick up. The, 6 weeks later, they said they forgot to charge the $100 deductible and asked me to pay it. Is there any legal standing?

Asked on February 20, 2018 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Generally, no, they cannot do this: if they undercharged you by forgetting to include a charge, that is their loss, assuming that they had presented you what was meant to be a final or all-inclusive bill. Once you pay what you had been told was the full or final amount and what you and they had at the time agreed was the full amount, they cannot add charges. That said, even if they don't have a good case, they could try to sue you for the $100 or put in collections; you have to decide if $100 is worth standing on your rights and potentially getting involved in litigation or having to deal with a collections agency.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption