Can my Home Owners association have my water turned off if I don’t agree to pay them a fine they want to impose?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my Home Owners association have my water turned off if I don’t agree to pay them a fine they want to impose?

The water bill is covered by the HOA fee which I pay and I am up to date on my payments. The are asking me to pay them a fine of $300 per month for renting the unit. Is this legal and can they turn off the water?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your HOA can try and assess you a fine of $300.00 per month for renting out your unit depends upon what the presumed recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" say about the subject. As such, you need to carefully read this document in that it controls the subject on your question.

The HOA cannot turn off your water as a means of getting leverage over you in the $300.00 dispute that you are writing about legally. If it does, you would have a basis for a legal action. I suggest that you consult further about your question with an attorney practicing law in the area of homeowner's association.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption