As a victim of multiple rapes at the age of 6, would there be a case against the rapist now, 16 years after the rapes?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a victim of multiple rapes at the age of 6, would there be a case against the rapist now, 16 years after the rapes?

There was also another victim, during the same time frame, my older sister. And the rapist was a family member, our uncle. There was never any police reports filed or witnesses. He, the rapist, has since admitted the rapes to our mother.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You and your sister must be two of the bravest and strongest women around to have survived such abuse and who are now willing to come forward.  You and your sister can corroborate the acts by coming forward and confirming he did this to both of you.  And yes, you have no yet reached the statute of limitations in Oregon.  Here is the statute:

If what happened can be classified as rape in either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree and you have never reported it to the Department of Huam resources then you have until you are 30 to prosecute given you were under 18 when it happened.  Good luck to you all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption