As a private citizen, am I allowed to request texting records of the person who hit me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a private citizen, am I allowed to request texting records of the person who hit me?

I was in a car accident where I was stopped at a red light and someone rear-ended me. I suspect that the person who hit me was texting because my car was stopped and the light just turned green when he hit me. I went to an urgent care clinic for shoulder and neck pain left side. I was given a shot of muscle relaxers and a prescription for muscle relaxers as well. I was unable to take the prescription and function at work because they made me too sleepy so I just had to work through the pain. I had to take off time for work to take my car in for repairs as well. The insurance company is offering me $700 for pain and suffering and $244 for lost wages. I don’t think this is a fair amount because I am now anxious at stop lights and I was in pain for 2- 3 weeks after the accident. I also had to uber to the car repair place and that’s not cheap. Can I view his texting records at the time of the accident to see if he was texting. I didn’t call the cops after the accident

which was a mistake.

Asked on May 8, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The *only* way you could access his records would be to file a lawsuit against him in "regular" county court (e.g. not small claims) for his negligence (careless driving) and, in the course of that lawsuit, use the legal processes of "discovery" (e.g. document production requests; written interrogatories or questions; subpoenas) to get the records from him and/or his service provider. Only a lawsuit gives you access to the legal tools or processes you need; therefore, you'd have to sue first, before knowing if you have any grounds to sue; and as stated, you have to file in regular, not small claims court to use discovery, which will increase the cost and complexity of the suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption