As a paid tax prepaerer, am I required to provide a client’s tax documents to a lawyer’s subpoena?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a paid tax prepaerer, am I required to provide a client’s tax documents to a lawyer’s subpoena?

I have just recieved a subpoena from a lawyer in a case (client vs another person ) and they are asking for 7 years tax records. They are requesting them in 2 days.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Business Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were served with a valid subpoena issued by an attorney for a clients' tax records, you are required to provide such. You are entitled to a witness fee for the preparation of the documents. You are usually entitled to at least ten (10) days notice to provide the requested documents from when you are first served with the subpoena.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption