As a landlord do I have a right to increase rent if the current tenants move in 2 more occupants who are not on the lease?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a landlord do I have a right to increase rent if the current tenants move in 2 more occupants who are not on the lease?

Asked on August 5, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To answer your question, you need to carefully read your written lease with your tenant concerning the unit being rented. Its terms control the obligations you owe your tenants and they owe you unless the agreement violates state law.

In all likelihood you rented your property to your current tenants without any restrictions on how many occupants of the property are on the lease. You most likely did not rent the property out per room but rented the entire property for so much per month. If true, you do not have the right to increase rent on your property if two more occupants move into the property.

However, depending upon the terms of your written lease, you might be able to restrict the number of permanent occupants who stay beyond a certain number of consecutive days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption