As a full-time employee, can my employer cut my workload to starve me out?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a full-time employee, can my employer cut my workload to starve me out?

My employer doesn’t fire employees, instead they opt to starve the individual employee out of work until they either quit or disappear entirely. Other full-time

employees continue work as normal as there is usually still a workload.

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract guarantying you a certain number of hours or amount of work or a certain wage, yes, they can do this. Without a written contract, you are an "employee at will." An employee at will has NO rights to his/her job--no right to work, to have the job, to get a certain number of hours or certain salary/wages, etc. An employer may terminate the employee at will, or simply reduce the hours until they decide they need a different job. Legally, you have no protection for your position or amount of work.
It doesn't matter if other workers are still receiving their full workload; the law does not require employers to treat employees the same or fairly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption