As a DBA owner do you have to sign off onto paperwork when an LLC is formed and you are no longer owner even on the LLC?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a DBA owner do you have to sign off onto paperwork when an LLC is formed and you are no longer owner even on the LLC?

I had a DBA in the state of Michigan with my husband. We formed an LLC from the DBA and my husband and his business partner are now on the LLC and I am no longer an owner. I was upset with the fact that I am no longer a legal owner of the business. Is it legal that when the LLC paperwork was filed by my husbands business partner that I didn’t sign off any paperwork.

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Business Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You and your husband were sole proprietors, so you had a d/b/a? Was the business partner part of this d/b/a?  What kind of business? Did it require licensure? A d/b/a is only is "also known as".  So your sole proprietorship was the form of the business.  Or was it too an LLC or Corporation?

Then, your husband and a business partner formed an LLC -- it cannot be in place of the d/b/a  without you- because the new LLC is a new company -- so is it a subsidiary or affiliate?

Is this a company requiring licensure in your state? Did you file with the Secretary of State as the d/b/a and did your husband file with the secretary of state as the LLC?

Call your Secretary of State's office and inquire.  I don't think it is an issue unless your husband's action was to replace the d/b/a completely and your underlying company with him.


If the secretary of state's office cannot help you, seek a consultation with a lawyer on your own.  Try and then verify his or record through the Michigan State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption