As a 16 year old male, is it illegal to date an 18 year old female?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a 16 year old male, is it illegal to date an 18 year old female?

I’m 16 And a guy and I’m dating an
18 year old female. We both work
at Mcdonalds and she’s afraid she
could get fired for dating a minor
because she’s a girl. We started
dating about two weeks after she
turned 18. Can my boss fire her
for that? We’ve only let a few
people know just in case.

Asked on June 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, the "age of consent" in IA is 16. This is the age at which a person can legally consent to sexual relations. Therefore, it is legal for a 16 year old can be intimate with an 18 year old. Secondly, as regards your employer, since most work relationships are "at will" an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. This unless an employment contract or union agreement provides otherwise. Also, such action must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption