Arresting someone who assaulted me

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Arresting someone who assaulted me

My sister in-law was recently assaulted. She filed a police report, and there is currently a warranted out for her attacker. She knows his name and address. How do we get the police to actively pursue this man?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the police are not pursuing this aggressively enough, you need to basically "turn up the heat" on them--they don't work directly for you, but if you could get someone at a higher level interested, they can pressure the police to be more active in this case. Go to higher-ups at the precinct, if you haven't already. If necessary, escalate to office of the city police commissioner. You could also contact the DA's office, try to get them interested. You could contact your local politicians--they may take up the cause if they think it will make them look good or (less cynically) if they really like helping constituents. Basically, keep escalating up the chain, always respectfully and politely, but as high as you need to go or are comfortable going, to find someone who will at least "suggest" if not order the local police to be more proactive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption