What to do if arressted for possession and loitering?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if arressted for possession and loitering?

I was recently arrested for possesion of marijuanna (a roach, under half a gram), drug paraphnelia (cigarette roller) and loitering. This is my first offense and I’m currently attending college and working and having this on my record is not an option. Should I plead guilty or not guilty? Should I consult a lawyer or have a public defender represent me? Is there a chance the judge will drop the charges?

Asked on April 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is always best to seek the professional guidance of a criminal defense attorney to help navigate your criminal case. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney, the court can appoint you one. With the type of drug charges you have, you can always go to trial if there is reason to believe the prosecution can not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. If you plead guilty, an attorney can assist in helping you protect your criminal record through a deferred sentence or similar type of probation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption