If I broke probation for a domestic violence charge, what can I do to settle the matter without going to jail?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I broke probation for a domestic violence charge, what can I do to settle the matter without going to jail?

I was arrested in NC 11 years ago for domestic violence. I left the state 10 years ago, breaking my probation. I’ve talked to the DA and was told that I needed to turn myself in and go before a judge. I have a clean record otherwise. I have a decent job that I have been at for 10 years. What options do I have, if any? I want to see my daughter.

Asked on August 4, 2011 North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do is retain a very good criminal defense attorney to represent you with repect to the violation of your probation going back ten (10) years. Given the circumstances of your violation of probation as to a domestic violence charge, there is a pretty good chance that the court very well could impose a jail sentence if convicted.

One good thing that you have going for you is that you apparently have not had any subsequent problems with the law and have a good employment situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption