are they allowed to garnish my pay for credit card debt?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

are they allowed to garnish my pay for credit card debt?

I received a call and a letter from a law firm threatening to garnish my salary to satisfy my credit card debt. I was told that they shouldn’t be permitted to do this. I have not heard from any debt collector, or received any letters. I have tried to satisfy all of my past credit mistakes. I’m not even sure if this is even one that was already resolved & settled. What are my rights? what do I need to ask for? I do not feel I should be responsible for interests, and fees since I have not been contacted up until last week. How much can I get the amount they are looking for cut down to something

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


David Hamilton / Dwyer & Associates

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can reply with a letter requesting more information on the debt and demand 30 days to pay as per Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b).

You should consider hiring a lawyer to consider your options. Many lawyers, including myself, will set up a free initial interview or phone conversation to assess your options.

David S. Hamilton, Esq.
Dwyer & Associates, LLC.
110 Wall St. 11th Floor
New York, NY, 10005
Tel: 718-690-7315
Fax: 347-332-1737

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption