Are there laws regarding disclosure of financial information of a patient and a pharmacy?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are there laws regarding disclosure of financial information of a patient and a pharmacy?

The amount of money I owe the pharmacy that I currently use was told publicly, in the store, to my sister in law, and to anyone else who happened to be there. There were several customers there, in line behind my sister-in-law. She knew the exact amount that I owed, as well as the amount my parents owe. Did this clerk break HIPPA laws? Is she responsible or the pharmacy owner?

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, the amount of money you owe the pharmacy is not protected information, and is not protected by HIPPA. It is not health care information; it is information about a debt. It may be disclosed to other persons or discussed publicly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption