Are there federal laws that apply to sub-contractors suing contractors?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are there federal laws that apply to sub-contractors suing contractors?

I was hired by a sub contractor 5 weeks ago. I went to work immediately, until things went bad. They made physical threats toward me and the contractor agreed to take them off the job and give it to me to finish, considering I was already doing the work. I was supposed to get a meeting to discuss the transfer of the contract. Instead the sub lied and the contractor helped them take the job back from me with out any cause. Now the sub had sold his interest, and I have not been paid and the contractor says I’ll be in contempt of a federal law to file to sue him. Any truth to this?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Business Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the contract for the work of improvement is with a federal agency, the laws applicable to contractors and sub-contractors are governed by state law under the 10th Amendment of the United States Constitution.

From what you have written, I know of no law prohibiting you from suing the general contractor under a work of improvement contract. If you have pre-liened the property for the work of improvement that you peformed, I suggest that you perfect the lien. If you are unusure of the lien process, I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in construction law about your situation and a possible suit against the general contractor for not paying you what is owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption