Are roommates in Wisconsin permitted in a single family zoned area?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are roommates in Wisconsin permitted in a single family zoned area?

The village where I live sent me a letter saying that by virtue of having a couple of roommates I am using my property as a two family house when it is zoned single family. There are shared areas such as the kitchen, deck and washer dryer utility room. What is your take on this?

Asked on June 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In an area zoned for single family residence only, regardless of how the home is physically divided or occupied, only individuals related by blood or marriage can co-reside, or at most an unmarried couple still functioning as a single "family" (e.g. two romantic partners and their respective children; the law recognizes that the definition of "family" has broadened). Unrelated, non-romantically involved individuals would violate single family zoning and be illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption