Are grandparents allow to take a grandchild outside of the country?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are grandparents allow to take a grandchild outside of the country?

My friend recently died leaving a 4 year old behind. There is no dad in the picture. She left an unsigned Will leaving the kid to her best friend. What are the chances for the grandparents to take the kid out of the country?

Asked on November 20, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The will may be contested because the will is unsigned so it may not be legally viable, in which case the state would take over and figure out if the grandparents will petition for custody or if the state's primary motive is to find the father and see if he would be willing to take custody. If you are concerned the grandparents will take the child out of the country, this will all depend on who the child is with currently and again what occurs with the legality of the will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption