Are government agencies required to be closed on holidays?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are government agencies required to be closed on holidays?

Our city is requiring that we are open on 4 holidays while all other DMV’s and the local City Hall will remain closed. Are there MN laws or statutes that require the offices to be closed these days?

Asked on January 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that there are 10 recognized state and federal holidays:

  • New Year's Day (January 1)
  • Martin Luther King's Birthday (3rd Monday in January)
  • Washington and Lincoln's Birthdays (3rd Monday in February)
  • Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
  • Independence Day (July 4)
  • Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
  • Christopher Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)*
  • Veterans Day (November 11)
  • Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
  • Christmas Day (December 25)

Some states also allow for substitutions:

The day after Thanksgiving may be substituted for Christopher Columbus Day.

Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and Good Friday are some of the days that may be considered cultural or religious holidays and may be substituted for a federal or state recognized holiday.  These days are not the only days that may be substituted for the recognized holidays.

If a holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding day shall be a holiday.  If a holiday falls on a Sunday, the following day shall be a holiday.

Agencies may also allow for families to substitute holidays based on their religion or culture.   I would contact your state Department of Labor or State Attorney General's Office for clarification here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption