Are companies required to pay you on time

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are companies required to pay you on time

My son works for a company that keeps
telling him they will have his check
tomorrow and then he gets the same
story the next day, so what can be done
about that

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Under the law, employees in your state must be paid at least twice a month, on a regular payday; therefore, yes, employers must pay you on time. Unfortunately, the Texas law has little in the way of "teeth": there are no penalties or fines for late payment, and all the employee can get is the money which he was supposed to be paid anyway. Your son can file a complaint with the TX labor department, who may be able to help him at least get the money to which he is entitled; and/or he could sue the employer (e.g. in small claims court) for it--but again, can only get the money to which he is entitled anyway, and not any extra compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption