Arbitration Award

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Arbitration Award

My husband receive this yesterday and it is from a credit card company that we have fought with for over 10 years or more. It only is his name and we can not afford to pay it ,we do not own a home and the two cars we have are in my name. What can we do about this?

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Business Law, North Carolina


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

My suggestion is that you attempt to contact the attorney who represents the credit card company and see if they will agree to a payment plan. If not you can always file bankruptcy if you have other debts and no assets. Once the award is converted to a judgment, the creditor can attempt to enforce the judgment. This means they can garnish bank accounts, seek income garnishments, or attempt to sell your husband's car. My suggestion would be to judgment proof your husband. Be careful about putting him on accoutns with you because if they find one they can freeze it which would freeze you up too. If you have a lot of debt you may want to consult a bankruptcy lawyer in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption