If my apartment got flooded because of bad maintenance job, what am I entitled to?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my apartment got flooded because of bad maintenance job, what am I entitled to?

My apartment got flooded 4 days ago because of a bad maintenance job which was done to fix the rain water drain. 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 3 closets and 1 bathroom were affected. The whole place was a mess and they engaged an emergency team to dry the dirty water; and it’s still in progress. I have a 3 month old son and visitors over as well. Is there any legal action I can take against the apartment management for the hardship we’re going through? I have pictures from the last 2 days with me.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the condition of the apartment unit that you are renting is so bad as a result of the flooding resulting from a poor maintance repair by the apartment complex that you cannot live in the unit, the apartment complex and landlord need to put you in different accomodations until the repairs are completely done and pay for it.

In the interim, your rent should be abated voluntarily by the landlord because you are not getting what you expected to be paying a monthly rent check for due to the uninhabitable and unsafe conditions that arose through no fault of your own.

You need to write the landlord and the property manager about your current situation inquiring what accomodations are going to be made for you concerning the uninhabitable apartment.

If the landlord and apartment manager are unwilling to make voluntary amends to you concerning the hardship you are going through, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney concerning this situation.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption