What canI do if mylandlord lost paperwork stating thatI was entering the military and is now in charging me for early lease termination?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if mylandlord lost paperwork stating thatI was entering the military and is now in charging me for early lease termination?

I turned in my paperwork stating that I was joining active duty army to my apartment complex. It provided me with no release form, instead it just just told me that I was good to go. However, it lost the paperwork and then turned a claim into a collection agency. They refuse to work with me.

Asked on March 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord lost the paperwork to show you were leaving for the army, and you have proof that you gave documentation or notice that you were going active duty, you are in the right and have the force of law behind you. The Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act will ensure this is handled properly and that your credit is not impacted. You can go a few routes with this, Show the proof again to your landlord, and if they still refuse to help, inform them of the Soldiers & Sailors Act and that you will be forced to not only inform your state's Attorney General but your judge advocate for your military unit to get this resolved. Also contact your state and federal representatives to help you. Oftentimes, their liaisons have contacts who can help in these matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption