Apartment complex gate hit my car.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Apartment complex gate hit my car.

As I was leaving the apartment complex, the gate was open. When I started to go
through, it closed on me. Leading me to hit it, with damage on my front passenger
side headlight. The manager on the scene told me that the gate malfunctions a
lot. However, when the cop got there for the report the manager then claimed he
did not tell me that. I do have a video of the incident, but you can see in the
video that the gate was opened until I was going through, then closed on me.

Asked on August 17, 2016 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that the gate was faulty (and, as a practical matter, that you can prove that), you can sue the complex for the cost to repair your car (of course, if only the headlight was damaged, that may be more trouble than it is worth). But you must show fault on the complex's part, such as if they had a malfunctioning gate and, despite being aware of the problem (or logically, if they *must* have been aware under the circumstances), they failed to fix it. If there were blameless--e.g., you simply mistimed the gate--they would not be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption