Any low cost/pro bono services in NC for a soon to be single mom?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Any low cost/pro bono services in NC for a soon to be single mom?

Recently found out my husband has had
multiple affairs, lots of tangible proof
as I understand now. We have 2 young
kids and own a house together. Trying to
ensure I’m taken care of since I haven’t
caused this divorce, as well as my
children. Any advice is greatly

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file for a divorce yourself; each state generally has an on-line site that contains information for this. That having been said, since child custody, visitation and support issues will be involved, you should try to obtain legal representation. Since money is an issue, see if Legal Aid can assist you. If not, see if there is a law school in your area; many run legal clinics that take clients for free or for reduced fees. Finally, you can check to see if your local county/state bar association has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free) based on their income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption