Under what conditions can you file for annulment?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under what conditions can you file for annulment?

I have been married for 10 months and my wife lives in one state and I live in another. She promised that she would move here 7 months ago but has not. Can I get an annulment?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, this is probably a case where divorce, not annulment, is appropriate. Annulment is generally only available when there was a fraud or lack of validity to the very basis of marriage: e.g. one party is too young or was mentally incompetent; one party hid from the other that (s)he was gay, had had a sex change, didn't want children, was only marrying for immigration purposes, etc. A dispute over where to live, while undoubtedly serious, probably does not meet the criteria for an annulment. However, since you'll need to consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney anyway (e.g for a divorce), it would certainly be worthwhile exploring that with the lawyer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption