Can another court date be set if a matter has already been adjudicated?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can another court date be set if a matter has already been adjudicated?

My 13 year-old got into a fight at school about a month ago. We went to court, paid a fine, and she was given community service. After I dropped her at school today, she called and said that we have to be in court on Friday. The other girl lied and said my daughter attacked her from behind. Can they give another court date after already being in court? Can I request false reporting for the other little girl lying?

Asked on January 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, it does not sound right. Once a matter has been adjudicated and a sentence has been rendered then it is over.  Do you have an attorney for you and your daughter?  If not then it is time to get one.  Do not go to court on Friday without one, okay?  I do not really understand what is going on.  As for the girl that lied, do you have witnesses to the event?  Did that child plead out her case yet?  Lying to the police and filing a false report are against the law and they come with very severe penalties.  If she testifies under oath it is perjury as well. Your civil remedies will flow from her criminal activity.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption