How do decide if an aannlment or a divorce is the proper thing to file for?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do decide if an aannlment or a divorce is the proper thing to file for?

My husband and I have been married for 8 months. He entered into active duty US Airfoce and after 2 months we separated. Events have occurred during his time in basic training and beginning of tech school that have change our relationship. We have irreconcilable differences and seek to legally end the marriage. I am unsure if our case qualifies for annulment but we would like to find the easiest quickest way to go about ending the marriage. What is the best way to do so?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry that things have not worked out between you and your husband.  The fact that he is in agreement with you about getting divorce is good because the laws regarding the service of military personnel with divorce paperwork has changed so much since the war in Iraq has started.  Those on active duty have many more safeguards in place for them so that there are no "surprise" divorces.  Now, just like you needs grounds for a divorce you need to have grounds for an annulment.  The grounds are often involved and have to be proven at trial. The law regarding annulment differs from place to place but there is not a "no-fault" ground for annulment like there is for divorce in each state.  That is why it may be easier for you two since you are in agreement to obtain a divorce much faster than an annulment.  You can always procure a religious annulment after.  Seek legal help.  Good luck to you both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption