What is considered to be police harassment?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is considered to be police harassment?

An officer waited in a parking lot for an extended period of time in order to pull me over for expired out of state plates. I made no driving errors before he pulled me over. He then slapped me with a criminal misdemeanor charge for having a an in-state DL with out of state plates. Could this be considered harassment?

Asked on December 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Harassment by the police is very difficult to prove.  Unfortunately, in your situation, the police will claim that you were stopped because of an expired license plate and that as part of a routine traffic stop, the police always ask to see your driver's license.  Your in-state driver's license resulted in the misdemeanor charge.  That law is probably intended to prevent people from registering the car in another state where registration fees may be lower.  

It would be advisable to contact an attorney who handles traffic violations to determine if there is a plausible defense to the misdemeanor charge. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption