If an IRS lien has been placed with the company that pays me, whatpercentage are they legally allowed to withhold?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an IRS lien has been placed with the company that pays me, whatpercentage are they legally allowed to withhold?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

With respect to an IRS lien placed with an employees employer, the standard amount that the employee is allowed to keep is the typical amount of the deduction under one's W-2 divided by 52 until the amount of the lien has been paid in full.

In a nutshell, when there is an IRS lien on wages, the amount of the net pay to the employee from the employer is very small. The IRS gets the lion's share. For a family of 3, the estimated net payment to the employee would be at most $325 per pay period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption