What should I do if an insurance company contacted me about a recent accident that involved a car I used to own?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if an insurance company contacted me about a recent accident that involved a car I used to own?

I traded in a car to a dealer 4 years ago and transferred the plates onto my new

vehicle. However, I recently received a letter from an insurance company that the car

was in an accident with their client and that I was 50% at fault. They refused to send me the accident report and the license plate that was noted was never owned by me.

Asked on November 16, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have done the right thing: put this in the hands of your insurance company. Follow up with them just to make sure it does not "fall into the cracks"--they probably have many cases going on at any given time, and once in a while, someone's case gets lost or forgotten, the way any busy organization can lose or forget something sometimes. Don't be that case; stay in touch with them to make sure you case stays on their radar and you are kept appraised of its status.
Also: pull together information showing that traded in the car and transferred title to it. Look to your own files, contact the dealership for information, contact the DMV--you want to be able to prove that you were not the owner when the accident occured.  Your insurer or their attorney should also do this, but there is no harm in you helping them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption