What to do if my ex-boyfriend has possession of a vehicle under my name and my name only but will not return it?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-boyfriend has possession of a vehicle under my name and my name only but will not return it?

There is still a loan on the vehicle over $10,000. The vehicle itself is worth $10,000 or slightly below, assuming it is still in the same condition since I’ve seen it. I contacted the police department to help me obtain the vehicle and they said they couldn’t help. I’m paying for the monthly loans and the insurance on the vehicle but have absolutely no access to it. I don’t know where he lives anymore. All I do know is that he is still within the stat;. I know where he works although I don’t know his schedule. He is unwilling to return the vehicle. I don’t want the vehicle but really any money I’ve put into it.

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If he has taken and will not return property belonging to you (the vehicle), you could sue him for its return and/or to recover monetary compensation (e.g. get back the amount you've paid on the loans and insurance during the time period he's had possession of your vehicle and you've been unable to use it). If you know where he works, you should be able to serve him (get legal jurisdiction over him, by having the court papers properly delivered to him), though you should retain an attorney to help you--it's more complicated when you do not have a good home address.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption