What can I do if an auto repair shop messed up my car?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if an auto repair shop messed up my car?

Back late last year, I took my car to a an auto transmission chain for work on my car. I went for 3.5 weeks before HQ told them to pay me for a rental. They also said I owe nothing for repairs. It’s now 8 months later and they still have my car and owe me $5,300 or so in car rental fees. Also, because they messed up my car I had to buy another car for transportation. They ignore letters to act and lie to me everytime I call saying they need more time. I just want my car back and to have it repaired by dealer and to be reimbursed for rental fees and repair fees that I paid a different shop to repair damage by them.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under General Practice, District of Columbia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since it appears the the automotive repair shop is ignoring you with respect to the problems with your car and its inability to be repaired, you have the following options:

1. contact your state's bureau of automotive repair and make a complaint against this particular repair facility. This entity is in charge of fielding consumer complaints and investigating bad conduct by licensed automotive repair facilities;

2. consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in your matter and give you guidance concerning your legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption