What to do if I did some custom work on a shotgun for an acquaintance and now several months later I have yet to receive any compensation?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I did some custom work on a shotgun for an acquaintance and now several months later I have yet to receive any compensation?

I had an acquaintance of mine that wanted me to restore an old shotgun of his that belonged to his now deceased grandfather. This was 6 months ago and he has still not paid me for my services in the amount of $75; it is still in my possession. Is there any way that the gun could become my property? I had heard that if certified mail was sent stating that if not payed in such a time that the item in question could become your property. I wasn’t sure of any of the legalities.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Business Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had an oral or a written agreement with an acquaintance of yours to do work on a shotgun where the value of the services rendered is $75.00, I would call and write the person advising that the shotgun is ready to be picked up and the fee is $75.00.

Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference. You are incorrect about the statement about how the object you are writing about could become your property. If you do not receive a response to your letter, I suggest another letter asking for a date and time for you to drop off the repaired firearm. If you do not get paid for your services, your option is small claims court for the $75.00 owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption