When can a landlord give a tenant a 7-day notice to quit?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can a landlord give a tenant a 7-day notice to quit?

Tenants in my owner-occupied 3-unit farmhouse have allowed conditions to deteriorate to where I have cat urine seeping into my ceiling – the carpeting in the room was brand new over never-before-carpeted wood floor. They originally rented the space on a 6 month lease paying 1st last and one month’s security. This lease reverted to a tenancy-at-will at the end of the 6 months but I retained the last month’s rent and the security deposit. Since I believe this damage can be classified “serious” and makes the unit unfit am I within my legal rights to give them a 7-day notice to quit?

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can review your lease agreement to see if there is a provision about breach of contract and what that can include. If cat urine or something about hygiene and or damages to the apartment are included and they are only at will tenants now, you can serve the seven day notice to quit and be prepared to evict them. Then be prepared to sue them for damages. Make sure you have estimates or actual cost of cleaning and repair and then use that as your evidence when you sue. If there is a landlord service about reporting bad tenants, make sure you include this tenant in that report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption