Am I supposed to get paid for a job orientation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I supposed to get paid for a job orientation?

I started working for a security company. I went to orientation from 8 to 5. At the end of the day I was told that the job wasn’t guaranteed if I didn’t make the sales they requested. I didn’t meet their requirements so I didn’t come back the next day. It has been 2 weeks and they are saying that they don’t pay for orientation. What should I do?

Asked on February 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it was a true orientation wherein you were required to be there to begin employment, then they owe you the funds and you can file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission.  If the sesssion was a gloried interview process, then it may not be due and payable.  Considering that they expected you to make a sale that benefited or profited the company, it does sound like a period of employment for which you would be entitled payment for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption