Am I still required to give 60 days notice to vacate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I still required to give 60 days notice to vacate?

My lease ended 2 months ago. I was never contacted about renewing my lease or going month-to-month. I did keep paying rent on time. I would now like to move in the next month but when I mentioned this to management they said I’m required to give a 60 day notice to vacate. It does say this in my expires lease but am I really required to give 60 days if my lease is up? Can they write month-to-month leases without contacting me?

Asked on February 14, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

When your lease expired, you continued paying rent, and the landlord accepted your rent payments, which initiated a month to month tenancy. Therefore, the requisite notice requirements for ending that month to month tenancy, are applicable. 
Depending on the language in your expired lease, you may be able to argue that only a thirty day notice is required to end a month to month tenancy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption