How do I divorce a woman from another counrty?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I divorce a woman from another counrty?

I’m in the military I married a woman from the Philippines 5 years ago. Since then we have never lived together and she has never been to the states. Are we still legally married and if so how do I go about obtaining a divorce?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your situation.  If your marriage was legal in the Philippines then it is recognized as legal here.  As for the requirements there to obtain a divorce I am unsure and you should probably contact someone there ir in the embassy here to be sure.  But if you are a resident of Georgia and meet the residency requirements for filing then you can get divorced here.  The problem is obtaining jurisdiction over your spouse.  If you are on good terms and she will sign an affidavit accepting service and waiving her right to appear that may work. Otherwise then you could ask to serve her by publication if permitted.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption