Am I responsible to pay back the value of unused airline tickets purchased by my employer?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible to pay back the value of unused airline tickets purchased by my employer?

I had agreed to attend a trade show but got into an argument with my boss the night before and quit so I did not show up for the next morning’s flight. Do I have to pay him back for that flight?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you need to pay him back for the expense. You caused the employer to incur an unnecessary expense due to your deliberate act--when you deliberately do something which costs another money, that can, and in this case does, provide a basis for liability, or for requiring you to pay.

If the employer had fired you, that would be different--they could not terminate you, then charge you for a flight which their own action caused you to not go on. But if you quit, you can be held liable for the cost; if you do not pay, your former employer could sue you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption