Am I responsible if my ex-husband refuses to move his property out of my house, and I move it for him?

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible if my ex-husband refuses to move his property out of my house, and I move it for him?

He refuses to move his large tv and I want it out of my house. I have friends who have offered to move it for me, but I don’t want it left in my garage indefinitely. I have asked him to move it for 6 months, and have now given him 30 days. If I leave it outside, am I responsible if it is damaged or stolen?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

To be on the safe side, you should talk to a lawyer about this.  I'm not a Texas lawyer, and the rules on this sort of thing are different from one state to another, and there might be other facts that make a difference.  One place to find an attorney is our website,

Six months is a long time to put up with this, and there should be something you can do.  If you were a landlord and he were your ex-tenant, it would probably be a little easier to find a firm answer.  If you know your ex's address, you might put the tv into a storage unit, pay the first month's rent, then send a letter, certified mail return receipt requested, to him, telling him where it is, and that if he doesn't pick it up, the storage place will sell it to pay the charges.

Or, if your lawyer clears it and your ex doesn't show up, maybe you can decide that he's abandoned it, so that it's yours to sell, on the internet or however you choose, and keep the money!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption